Atavism MMORPG solution

For discussions about game development that does not fit in any of the other topics.
Jackolantern

Atavism MMORPG solution

Post by Jackolantern »

Has anyone heard of Atavism? It appears to be a full-featured MMORPG development kit/solution/platform. It is commercial but the pricing seems to be indie-friendly. Their demo videos look impressive and it appears they are focused towards Unity, which is obviously not a bad choice for an indie studio. It is also probably for the best that they don't attempt to implement their own client-side game engine and instead use an extremely popular, existing option. It appears it is oriented towards 3D MMORPGs, which makes sense in this day and age. I am not sure if it can support 2D.

I have pretty much given up the idea of making a 3D MMORPG for good (the art assets to compete today are crazy IMHO), but for those still looking for a good option, this is at least worth a look.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
OldRod

Re: Atavism MMORPG solution

Post by OldRod »

Atavism is old... but it appears that someone has taken over and is reviving it. I've never messed with it, but it always looked interesting. It was originally created in Unity I believe... not sure if it's still in Unity or not

*edit* If you are using Unity, and want a MMO engine, check out uMMORPG - there's a 2D and a 3D version that is constantly being updated currently.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Look into UMMORPG instead. It is Unity based but a good option with a great community and developer. I have it. Very impressed and its $80
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

I think I have seen uMMORPG before. Out of curiosity, does it include a server with it?
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

yes, literally everything

https://ummorpg.net/
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Oh nice! Yeah, that at least at a glance looks like a much better deal than Atavism.
OldRod

Post by OldRod »

Jackolantern wrote:I think I have seen uMMORPG before. Out of curiosity, does it include a server with it?
Yeah, I haven't used Atavism, but I have uMMORPG and what I see of it is impressive.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

One thing I did see mentioned on Atavism's site is that you don't have to recreate logic on the server and in the client. You just write it once for Unity and the Ativism server will handle running the logic there.

Now that is quite a bold claim. If that really is true and I didn't misunderstand, that could be worth the money.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Just depends on what your after. I have seen many say how the server handles logic automatically but that only extends to a certain degree. Yeah i move my character on my client and the server does all the work to make sure the state gets updated but what if I add a fireball. No way the server knows what that is unless it specifically has been programmed for it. Just haven't seen that work well but maybe I am thinking in different terms.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Yeah that is kind of what I was thinking as well. You would have to add the logic in a certain way in order for it to be properly shared between client and server (like registering all of your methods through a special class or something). I figured it was probably marketing talk. It would be interesting to see how they (perhaps attempt) to implement it, though.

Return to “General Development”