diablo2

For discussions about game development that does not fit in any of the other topics.
darspire

diablo2

Post by darspire »

ok. i know that diablo2 is owned by a huge company. but how do they make diablo 2? do they have their own developement kit? i dont get it but ive always wanted to build a game like diablo 2. anyone know what they do?
if you love something, let it go.
if it doesnt return.....hunt it down and kill it.
Jackolantern

Re: diablo2

Post by Jackolantern »

It is made with C++/C and possibly some assembly for resource-heavy routines. Its rendering engine is likely built on DirectX for Windows and OpenGL for Mac. A game like Diablo 2 is an amazingly huge amount of work. But of course, you don't have to use the same tools that Blizzard actually used. You could use an actual game engine like Unity and cut a ton of work out of it, although it would still be a massive undertaking.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Callan S.

Post by Callan S. »

It depends on whether you like the gameplay or the graphics - the graphics are basically achieveable by having a massive team of artists. You just can't have that. But in terms of gameplay, here's an example of one dude that made a game and from the stats it's had 13000 online plays so far: http://www.yoyogames.com/games/1240

He made it with game maker - an older version, even.
darspire

Post by darspire »

game maker confuses me :/
if you love something, let it go.
if it doesnt return.....hunt it down and kill it.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

and I started to build a close clone, Don't use IE to test

http://indie-resource.com/rpgengine/index.php
SpiritWebb

Post by SpiritWebb »

hallsofvallhalla wrote:and I started to build a close clone, Don't use IE to test

http://indie-resource.com/rpgengine/index.php
Nice...

Callan S.

Post by Callan S. »

darspire wrote:game maker confuses me :/
Have you done their most simple tutorial, where you make a space with bouncing balls and you can click on them? And have you done any programming before? Anyway, that tutorial got me used to game maker - if they still have it. Did that years ago.

Hmmm, maybe I'll make up a base game maker demo sometime - though people will go 'Oh, that's so far away from diablo I'll ignore it', because they expect 95% of the coding done for them or it's of no worth.
Fight Cycle : My latest Browser game WIP
Driftwurld : My Browser Game WIP
Philosopher Gamer : My Blog
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

I thought the first GM tutorial was the "Catch the Clown" game, but maybe that was a long time ago lol.

Game Maker is a great program for novice game makers. The visual scripting system is a wonderful introduction to learning to do things "the programming way" and teaches you to use Boolean logic (the foundation of all programming, and really, all electronics). And don't worry, because it is not as scary as it sounds. Boolean logic simply means "everything is done with true/false".
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

I thought the first GM tutorial was the "Catch the Clown" game, but maybe that was a long time ago lol.
he thats the one I remember. Game Maker 4 or something. Way back in the day :)
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Oh really? Haha! I thought that was just last year or something...

Return to “General Development”