AS400

C++, C#, Java, PHP, ect...
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

AS400

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Anyone ever scripted/coded for the AS400 system? Any comments, advice, links, ect?

Possibly going to work for a company who will need me to script some for it.
Jackolantern

Re: AS400

Post by Jackolantern »

I don't think I have ever even seen one before, so I most definitely have not coded for one lol. Wouldn't it be regular C/C++ development, or does it use some odd, specific platform?
The indelible lord of tl;dr
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

I think it uses a IBM propriatary language. Holy crap I mispelled that and leaving it that way!
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Hmm...I am not too big on proprietary, single-use systems (you were only off by 1 letter haha!), but if it is a good opportunity, it will likely be worth it :)
OldRod

Post by OldRod »

I've worked with them on a very limited basis... they were a decent machine in the 80s :lol:

Of course, back then they took up the whole room and required a dedicated air conditioner... so nowadays they are better :)
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

haha from what i hear they are easily configurable with dialer systems for call centers and much cheaper solution. Seems I am getting hella good offers all coming from Texas area. Dallas especially. Texas seems to be the place to be but not sure I want to move there.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

It is alright here. You are already prepared for the hot temperatures from where you are now (Mobile, right?), and honestly it may not be that different from where you are at now at all. All except for the "Texas" theme to everything. I have never lived in a state that had a "theme" before. When you go out to get a burger, every place has a "Texas Burger" that is loaded with peppers, about 1 in every 3 cars has a "Don't mess with Texas" bumpersticker or something similar, and basically it is hard to go anywhere without being reminded of the fact you live in Texas. Even pretty much every national company makes separate commercials for Texas, like Geiko, All-State, Coca-Cola, McDonalds, etc. That and all the fools who think with every bit of their being that Texas still has the right to secede from the USA. I swear more people think that then know the truth here lol (for those interested, the truth is that Texas only has the right to break down into 4 smaller states, which was just a provision because no one thought with the primitive communication methods of the day that Texas could manage itself being this size. It would never happen because that would collapse Texas' political power and modern communications makes governing this state nearly as easy as governing Rhode Island, just with a ton more people involved).

I have never actually been to Dallas before, but have heard it is largely the same as Houston. And yeah, business wise for right now Texas is the place to be. It is like the recession never happened here at all.

Return to “Coding”