Sleeper bots

Indie-Resource announcements, news and any site discussion.
Callan S.

Sleeper bots

Post by Callan S. »

With these sleeper bots, is it possible to simply tag those that register and do nothing, or register, post a few times and then do nothing? Tag them that their posts are moderated before being accepted and shown?

Just wondering about that approach?
Jackolantern

Re: Sleeper bots

Post by Jackolantern »

I don't really think it is that necessary since there is a finite amount of bots who registered and went to sleep before the new security was put in place (and I have not seen a single one so far that registered since those measures went in). We also have people who sign-up to lurk and then eventually start posting after they get a feel for the forum, and it would be kind of disheartening for them to not be able to instantly post. I know me personally, I hate having posts held for moderation, and quite often I forget about it and never even go back to check on them.

But I would like to see what Halls thinks about it, though :)
The indelible lord of tl;dr
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

The bot issue is over. There has not been one single bot post since my new changes which has been a few weeks now.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

He isn't referring to new bots, but rather "sleeper" bots. Over the last week, we have been getting quite a few bots starting up that registered in August or the beginning of September before the new measures were added in. They must have just had word sent out to wake up and begin spamming. Obviously there can only be so many, and I have nuked about 12 of them this week, so I am not sure how many more there could be.

I have not seen a single bot with a registration date after the measures were put in though :)
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

ah my bad. Well I can start nuking people with 0 posts who have registered before then as well.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

That would probably be alright. Particularly if they registered on August 28. I saw so many sleeper bots with that registration date that I remembered it lol. I guess lurkers probably don't have registered accounts (which is why they are lurking lol).
OldRod

Post by OldRod »

Just make an announcement that with the change to the new site, all "0 post" users have been deleted. Sorry for the inconvenience, but please register again if you are still finding this site useful, etc. etc :)
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Sounds good to me :)

Return to “Announcements and Site Discussion”