The problem of single-word names

Talk about game designs and what goes behind designing games.
Jackolantern

The problem of single-word names

Post by Jackolantern »

So I am starting work on a new project, and quite unusually for me, I have my heart set on a name. But also very unlike me, it is just one word. And not a super unusual word, either. It hasn't been the name of a game that I have been able to find, but it has been the name of a band, and likely other forms of media as well.

Even though trademark only covers like-works, so you typically can name your game something that is also the name of a band, for example, do you think it is worth it? Just because you have the right doesn't mean it can't one day be challenged, in which case you have to defend it.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Xaos

Re: The problem of single-word names

Post by Xaos »

take the aid meiers approach, more or less. name it "Jackolanterns" X, but call it X. the offixial name is the first, but ya know ;)
OldRod

Post by OldRod »

Yeah, "Jackolantern's Rush" has a nice ring to it :)
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Awesome idea, but....it just won't work with this name. In a little while when I am ready to announce it, you will see why :oops:
Callan S.

Post by Callan S. »

Is it 'bananas'?

Jackolantern's Bananas!

:D ;)
a_bertrand

Post by a_bertrand »

Trademarks are odd beasts... Why? because most countries have different rules for it, and different registration process. For example, if you register Windows for a door maker here in Switzerland, nobody will ever be able to complain about it, even Microsoft. However you could not use Windows for an OS. Also names registered in one country don't make any difference in all others. For example you register Mac in the US, well guess what, you will have to register it too in every country you want some protection.

So don't worry for the name, use it. The only thing which can be of a pain is the domain name, so pick a name / domain at the same time.
Creator of Dot World Maker
Mad programmer and annoying composer
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

I do not recommend a common name and/or a single word. Take the game Freelancer for instance. Now go search for it... The more simple and common the name is the harder it is to find. It's Bush isn't it :)
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

hallsofvallhalla wrote:I do not recommend a common name and/or a single word. Take the game Freelancer for instance. Now go search for it... The more simple and common the name is the harder it is to find. It's Bush isn't it :)
Haha excellent guess! It even hit the band name thing, too! :lol: :lol:

As far as the searching thing goes, there is kind of a hack for that (that I bet a lot of you already know), where you will find what you want if you just put "game" after it, like "freelancer game" (it works for movies, too, like "gravity movie"), but I am not sure how many people know that. That is a consideration.

Return to “Game Design”