Real Life Scaling

For discussions about game development that does not fit in any of the other topics.
vitinho444

Real Life Scaling

Post by vitinho444 »

Hey guys!!!

So I don't know if you guys know... I lost 3-4 months of work on my last game :'( The backups i had were corrupted, god knows why... But no worry, I learned some cool stuff and it's all in my head :)

So.. after this recent event I began thinking in my next adventure. This time i got the idea from a couple of friends that said: "Hey you know what would be cool? A zombie survival in our college campus!" And truly it is a nice concept... I always imagined how it would be to put real places in a game, similar to GTA. So ok, I will do it.

From the start (3 days ago) I received lots of support and feedback, people and friends trying their best to help me, and i feel nice seeing that this could actually turn out really good since so many people are interested.

Then the trouble started... I already did a enhanced version of the Player Controller from the 3-4month project and its working very good, player shoots, and stuff, basically the FPS controller is working pretty well. So i tried to move on the map... I failed.... and failed... tried again... and failed...
I NEVER THOUGHT THAT CREATE REAL LIFE PLACES IN A GAME WOULD BE SO HARD.

From the obvious modelling limitation I have, there is a question of scaling. I have photo and video evidence of the whole campus, I have blue prints too, but I can't seem to SCALE that cr*p... How you guys would do?

Here's what I have so far (3DSMAX):

Here's the original blueprint:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lw4wk12i8vdut ... .51.31.png

I'm finding it VERY hard to complete this... So i hope you guys have some hints on how to design interiors and buildings in a 3D modelling software.
I tried google sketchup -.- and it messed up all the work after exporting (4h of work to the garbage).

Thank you :)
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

a_bertrand

Re: Real Life Scaling

Post by a_bertrand »

If you have a true map of the place, use the real size inside the modeling software. Most do have ways to model relatively precisely the elements. Why? because then you can just mesure each items you want to make in digital form and rescale it in your software knowing that for example a door is about 2m height etc.
Creator of Dot World Maker
Mad programmer and annoying composer
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

a_bertrand wrote:If you have a true map of the place, use the real size inside the modeling software. Most do have ways to model relatively precisely the elements. Why? because then you can just mesure each items you want to make in digital form and rescale it in your software knowing that for example a door is about 2m height etc.
Well that's the problem I dont have the exact measures of the campus. I know those examples ofc, door 2m height, maybe 1.3m width, but that's it :/ And I'm afraid that doing it by eye will end up different elements not fitting you know?

Like I have to join 3 buildings...

Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Just for the record, GTA does not use real locations. Each one has a city that is loosely based on a real city, but all of the maps are made up.

Also, you would likely want to be careful basing it on a school campus. If you use a town or a real city, I am not sure who could actually come after you for it (even though AAA games seem to go out of their way to not duplicate real-world locations so maybe there is something there), but a campus is one entity that may have the right to defend itself legally depending on what they can come up with.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

Jackolantern wrote:Just for the record, GTA does not use real locations. Each one has a city that is loosely based on a real city, but all of the maps are made up.

Also, you would likely want to be careful basing it on a school campus. If you use a town or a real city, I am not sure who could actually come after you for it (even though AAA games seem to go out of their way to not duplicate real-world locations so maybe there is something there), but a campus is one entity that may have the right to defend itself legally depending on what they can come up with.
Well at least in GTA V there are some pretty close to real life locations, not saying they are the same 100%.

Yeah i thought of that too... The main building architecture is very strange, so I won't match it by 100%, but apart from that I'm HOPING to have a close copy. At least in interiors...
Here's the beauty:

That architect is so beast he even puts walls in front of windows :D

Return to “General Development”