IDE

For discussions about game development that does not fit in any of the other topics.
srachit

IDE

Post by srachit »

How many people here use an IDE? And which one do you use?
I used to use eclipse till around a year back, when my university introduced me to vim. Ever since I have always used gvim for all my programming whether its C++, C, Java, Python or Assembly (yes I've sadly had to deal with that monster :P) and I love it! It opens much faster than eclipse does, doesnt lag (eclipse gets stuck sometimes) and is heavily and easily customizable. I do not think I'm going back to an IDE anytime soon unless I work on something like android.
a_bertrand

Re: IDE

Post by a_bertrand »

VI (VIM, and others which are basically an extended VI) do have a few advantages:
- You find them on any Unix system
- You can use them via telnet or ssh
- Quick to edit / start

However you cannot compare it to an IDE. Good IDE are not just an editor, but integrate all the tools needed for your development (edit, compile, debug, source control, help, refactoring and much more).

For small projects a simple text editor will do the trick... but as soon as you start to deal with multiple files and a somewhat bigger project an IDE can save you loads of time. For me it's nearly a factor 10.

I use WebStorm for Node.js and JS development
Zend Studio for the little PHP I still do
and Visual Studio (which is the main thing I do) for my C# development.
Creator of Dot World Maker
Mad programmer and annoying composer
Lord Rahl

Post by Lord Rahl »

Netbeans, Visual Studio and Notepad++ (although not an IDE).
Xaos

Post by Xaos »

I normally use NetBeans but currently i'm using Xamarin Studios, as I'm developing cross-platform apps on a mac.
Mardonis

Post by Mardonis »

NetBeans on this end.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Like Alan, I also use WebStorm. It isn't perfect, but it seems to me to be the best Javascript IDE out there. Auto-complete is tough to do well in highly dynamic languages like JS, but WS does it admirably. And once you have been coding for years with auto-complete or VS's Intellisense, it is pretty tough to go back to a simple text editor. I can write out 60+ character lines of code with as little as 3 button presses consistently. I have not seen anything in VIM or VI that can save that much time.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

VS13 all the way. Does pretty good with JS too.

Return to “General Development”