Any JavaScript Tuts?

Post all your tuts or request for tuts here.
MikeD

Any JavaScript Tuts?

Post by MikeD »

Any good tuts on features in JavaScript that would be good for a text based browser games?

Kindof in the same boat as I was with PHP, I had read the book, understood functions, arrays etc, just didn't know how to apply them to create a game until watching Halls tut. So I am wondering if there is anything similar for Javascript.
Jackolantern

Re: Any JavaScript Tuts?

Post by Jackolantern »

Did you see Halls' JS video tuts linked above in this forum?
The indelible lord of tl;dr
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

yep it is a great start. I actually got offered a position as a javascript programmer but they require Jquery so I am back at that, so I may have a tutorial on it soon as well.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

jQuery is where it is at. End of story lol. Once you get used to it, you will have no idea why it took you so long! It is so advanced beyond vanilla Javascript that some of the new Javascript APIs being rolled-out with HTML5 are adding jQuery features directly into vanilla Javascript (like the selector engine, although jQuery's will still be better since it has full CSS3 selector support).
MikeD

Post by MikeD »

Nope, I missed that lol. Will start watching those. Thanks.
Chris

Post by Chris »

hallsofvallhalla wrote:yep it is a great start. I actually got offered a position as a javascript programmer but they require Jquery so I am back at that, so I may have a tutorial on it soon as well.
If you would have taken the time to learn jQuery that would have been the easiest job in the world.
Fighting for peace is declaring war on war. If you want peace be peaceful.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

haha well they also require heavy knowledge of raw javascript which I would not have if I would have spent my time learning Jquery. They also require Ajax and other things so I would much rather have to learn jquery than to attempt to relearn some of the other stuff.

Now if I would have spent my time learning jquery over spending it on uncompleted projects is a different story!
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

hallsofvallhalla wrote:haha well they also require heavy knowledge of raw javascript which I would not have if I would have spent my time learning Jquery.
That is just the thing: You never stop using raw Javascript when using jQuery! You still have to know Javascript to use jQuery effectively. All jQuery does is make common things much, much easier that should have been much, much easier in raw Javascript.
Chris

Post by Chris »

That's a good quote to put in your sig Halls until your understand it XD
Fighting for peace is declaring war on war. If you want peace be peaceful.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

I understand that but the point was missed so nevermind :roll:

Return to “Tutorials”