Thinking of game type for project

Talk about game designs and what goes behind designing games.
Jackolantern

Thinking of game type for project

Post by Jackolantern »

I keep going back and forth on what would make a good first real project with node and Socket.io. My initial idea was to make kind of an enhanced MUD that would be played through the browser and would have enhancements through the UI, such as good maps, directories of the commands, visual inventory, etc., to basically help players who haven't played a MUD before adapt to it. But I do wonder, even with all the enhancements, if players today could really get into a MUD. Perhaps all of the few players willing to play MUDs are already invested in one. That is the biggest con. The biggest pro would be that the media requirements would be about as low as they come (just enough for the UI and the accompanying website), and it would be fully real-time, allowing pretty much any feature that exists in modern graphical MMOs, plus many more.

The other thought would be to make more of a PBBG, with tons of real-time features facilitated by Socket.io. While I am not about trying to chase popularity, it would be nice to get a community playing it, and PBBGs are infinitely more popular now than MUDs. It would be sad to make a MUD and have maybe 2 or 3 players (which is entirely possible). The downside to this is that it would require much more in the media department, and I am not artistically-inclined. Also the webpage-oriented nature is bound to slow down parts of the game, even with many real-time features.

Maybe I have just been kind of thinking-out-loud here, but I am definitely interested in feedback! I am probably leaning a bit more towards a browser-based WS enhanced MUD at the moment, but there are appealing aspects to both sides. :cool:
The indelible lord of tl;dr
a_bertrand

Re: Thinking of game type for project

Post by a_bertrand »

Why not join me and work together on my ever growing project? Having a second head / pair of hands would surely not hurt ;)
Creator of Dot World Maker
Mad programmer and annoying composer
weezme

Post by weezme »

a_bertrand wrote:Why not join me and work together on my ever growing project? Having a second head / pair of hands would surely not hurt ;)
What project are you working on? I also have a project that is in the works but seems to be at a stand still for now, so I would be interested in joining in on a project and maybe getting some help with mine in return. I don't know much about coding, but I do understand how it all works just can't code stuff to make it do what I want ha. I'm mostly a graphics guy, newly using blendor to make 3d models, a bit of photo shop taking images and creating somthing such as layouts and sort of a writer where I can come up with story lines, plots, introductions to certain parts of game sorta deal.
a_bertrand

Post by a_bertrand »

I'm working on http://www.cubicverse.com

I will be a isometric 3d medieval fantasy MMORPG. Currently working on the engine, to have the inventory, crafting, combats and so on working, then (soon enough) it will be time to design maps, quests, stories.

Bare in mind it's a BIG project compared to most indie projects found here on this forum. My goal would be to have a a first playable game by the end of the year, and continue then to add features and content over time. My last big (and successful) game is online since 8 years, and now starts to take age, so if I want to use it for the community (and grab initial members for free) I must somewhat be speedy ;)
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Sounds like you are going through the damning internal Q&A that seems to kill so much. You can find good and bad in everything.

I am sure before Angry Birds was developed the creator had his own.
"Making a physics game where you throw birds would be fun"
"But it is so graphic intensive"
"It could be addictive"
"But who wants to sling birds all day, it will get boring"
"The idea is original"
"There is so much work for little payoff, who is going to buy a game about birds and pigs?"

We can talk ourselves out of everything and that is what Hall's disease does. It becomes Gollum's evil side. A Mud would be friggin awesome, that is where Halls Node came from. A want to build a Mud but Hall's disease wrecked that idea as it has so many others. If I would have just built it around 2 years ago imagine what I would have now.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

hallsofvallhalla wrote:Sounds like you are going through the damning internal Q&A that seems to kill so much. You can find good and bad in everything.

I am sure before Angry Birds was developed the creator had his own.
"Making a physics game where you throw birds would be fun"
"But it is so graphic intensive"
"It could be addictive"
"But who wants to sling birds all day, it will get boring"
"The idea is original"
"There is so much work for little payoff, who is going to buy a game about birds and pigs?"

We can talk ourselves out of everything and that is what Hall's disease does. It becomes Gollum's evil side. A Mud would be friggin awesome, that is where Halls Node came from. A want to build a Mud but Hall's disease wrecked that idea as it has so many others. If I would have just built it around 2 years ago imagine what I would have now.
Wow, that is great advice! I think I will focus on what I want to make (the MUD).
a_bertrand wrote:Why not join me and work together on my ever growing project? Having a second head / pair of hands would surely not hurt ;)
I really appreciate the offer, but honestly, you are already way past what I think I could have helped with. This project is part about making the game, and also about learning more about node. I would probably do more damage to your codebase than good, as you are lightyears beyond me I believe on the server-side, and most definitely on the client side. I will hopefully get there eventually, but I had never even really touched node until a week or two ago. Maybe I will be able to catch-up and move into graphical multiplayer games and join you later, but for now I would probably be more of a liability than an asset lol.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
a_bertrand

Post by a_bertrand »

Well, on the client side the code starts to be big... But the server? It's really small. Why? Because it's the client which does all, and the server is just an "hub" between players and offers the persistence. Nothing else. Anyhow, I can't force anyone, and if you feel it's too much for your skills I must accept it ;)

Return to “Game Design”