MMA Sim

Have a project in the works but not much media? How about an idea you are turning into a project? Maybe a game design document you want to start with. This is the place.
Xaos

MMA Sim

Post by Xaos »

Welp, I'm starting it now. I figure even if I don't actually put the game up live, I'll sell it all. I just want closure to see it completed. Anyway, I'll be posting updates on this post. I'll also be using this thread to take suggestions/host my ideas. Feedback is great :)

Update 1 - 7/29/13 - I got 9/10 of the stand-up done. Have to implement more play-by-play and "special" moves. Other than that, its done unless I want more later. Also started on the clinch.
Xaos

Re: MMA Sim

Post by Xaos »

Just because I want to keep the OP kinda clean, i've got three "issues".

1. How should I go about doing positions? Just host them in the DB? Or make an array in a seperate file? Basically all they need to do is say whether its close (like a double underhooks clinch, or guard) or far (like a mount or muay thai clinch), who has dominant position (p1 or p2) and any bonuses (like +5 striking for mount, stuff like that).

2. Positioning. Should I scrap positioning all together? Really the only benefit is fence work. Otherwise, it's a moot point. Or I can create the alpha/beta without it and add it later.

3. I was thinking of having energy as like an overall thing, then health being Head/Body/Legs. If one of the three hit 0, theres a chance for knockout and a chance for being "rocked". A higher chance for KO would be the head, then the body, then legs. Same for being rocked. But I also plan on if you only go for the head, theres a higher chance of getting countered/ some negative effect or so forth. And for energy, it drains after being hit and making hits, but you gain some back as the fight goes on, between rounds, and you can "hold defense"/rest during the fight to gain that back. If that hits 0, your attributes take a hit and you can be rocked. Should I keep this sytem, or just go with an overall health?
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

1. You could create a separate "Fights" table in the db that would house the 2 fighters that are fighting and keep all of the current state there.

2. What do you mean exactly? Just standing position?

3. I like the idea of having 3 separate healths, but they would need to do different thing. Getting knocked out by a kick to the shins doesn't make much sense. In real MMA, repeated strong leg kicks are more about disabling the target's ability to dodge, kick, or, if it gets really bad, even stand up. Body shots are more about taking the wind out of the target, or draining their stamina. Head shots are really the only strikes that can knock someone out.

Sounding very cool, though :)
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Xaos

Post by Xaos »

Jackolantern wrote:1. You could create a separate "Fights" table in the db that would house the 2 fighters that are fighting and keep all of the current state there.

2. What do you mean exactly? Just standing position?

3. I like the idea of having 3 separate healths, but they would need to do different thing. Getting knocked out by a kick to the shins doesn't make much sense. In real MMA, repeated strong leg kicks are more about disabling the target's ability to dodge, kick, or, if it gets really bad, even stand up. Body shots are more about taking the wind out of the target, or draining their stamina. Head shots are really the only strikes that can knock someone out.

Sounding very cool, though :)
i've seen people get knocked out to the body, you'd be surprised. Repeatitive punches to the ribs/kidneys really hurt :oops:

and I mean like, where they are at on the Octagon.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

I have seen fights get stopped by a shot to the body because the wind was knocked out of them and it hurt so bad they fell over and rolled into a fetal position, but I have never seen a true knock-out (as in, they are suddenly sleeping) that way. The brain has to hit the skull for a knockout to occur.

As far as position, I think you should try to keep it. Cage work is very important to wrestlers, as it is a prime way for them to wear down the endurance of the opponent.
Xaos

Post by Xaos »

Jackolantern wrote:I have seen fights get stopped by a shot to the body because the wind was knocked out of them and it hurt so bad they fell over and rolled into a fetal position, but I have never seen a true knock-out (as in, they are suddenly sleeping) that way. The brain has to hit the skull for a knockout to occur.

As far as position, I think you should try to keep it. Cage work is very important to wrestlers, as it is a prime way for them to wear down the endurance of the opponent.
Yeah, thats what I mean as far as body knockouts.

Also, how should I implement positioning in PHP? Is it possible in an effecient way?
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Before I can answer, how is your game structured? Do fights occur fully automatically, or are they turn-based?
Xaos

Post by Xaos »

Jackolantern wrote:Before I can answer, how is your game structured? Do fights occur fully automatically, or are they turn-based?
Fully automatically. It'll determine a speed roll, see who goes, account for any countering or whatever, do the move, re-start, etc. No user input once the fight st
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Then you would want to work on pushing position probably as part of the fighters "game plan". Wrestling-centric fighters want to either take someone down or grind them out against the cage, so they want to push always from the middle of the octagon radiating out to the cage. Striker-centric fighters typically will hold their position while trying to maintain the center of the octagon. Jiu-jitsu fighters I guess will also push towards the cage, but mostly for take-downs, not to gind on the cage. I guess that is, since that is what I usually see. I don't recall hearing an exact strategy on where you push to when I took jiu-jitsu, but I took studied it before MMA was really a thing. Just get them down.

I don't think position is of critical importance in automated battles, but if you did want to add it (and I do think it could add a lot), you could have the fighter's automated game plan include attempts to push octagon position at various points depending on their specialization. It can either succeed and they gain the position, fail and no position changed, or backfire and they go the opposite direction from where they were pushing. This could perhaps be determined based on their stats.
Xaos

Post by Xaos »

Jackolantern wrote:Then you would want to work on pushing position probably as part of the fighters "game plan". Wrestling-centric fighters want to either take someone down or grind them out against the cage, so they want to push always from the middle of the octagon radiating out to the cage. Striker-centric fighters typically will hold their position while trying to maintain the center of the octagon. Jiu-jitsu fighters I guess will also push towards the cage, but mostly for take-downs, not to gind on the cage. I guess that is, since that is what I usually see. I don't recall hearing an exact strategy on where you push to when I took jiu-jitsu, but I took studied it before MMA was really a thing. Just get them down.

I don't think position is of critical importance in automated battles, but if you did want to add it (and I do think it could add a lot), you could have the fighter's automated game plan include attempts to push octagon position at various points depending on their specialization. It can either succeed and they gain the position, fail and no position changed, or backfire and they go the opposite direction from where they were pushing. This could perhaps be determined based on their stats.
Yeah, thats kinda what I was thinking. Maybe something like have a slider/tendency (thats how i'm basically doing all that kinda stuff) that dictates how much fencework you want, theres a roll/check in the sim if the fighter is going to try to push them to the fence, then a roll/check after what do to there based on the other tendencies, then it implements the fence. Then I guess on the fence I could do something like if(position = fence){ fighter2 attributes decrease } kinda thing . That way there is no REAL x,y where are you standing, but there is possibilities for fence work.

Return to “Project Showoff Tier I”